Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Sailing off into the weekend :)

Dear Parents and Students,

What a hectic few weeks it’s been! Between , teaching Grade 1, Grade 3, Grade 5 and supervising the teachers, the only job I feel I've neglected is supervising the teachers. The teachers are adults though and they know exactly what to do, so I don't need to watch their every move. 

 The exams are almost over and I can truly say that the children have made a tremendous effort in trying to doing their best.
I’m glad that the worksheets have proved a useful and convenient study tool as some of our students went on holiday and still managed to do well in the exams because they took their worksheets with them!

Grade 5 and Grade 3 students should have gotten their Vocabulary Exam papers as well as the Listening Exam papers yesterday. Please make sure that you ask them for it, so that you can sign and return them. The papers will go into a portfolio of all the work they’ve done, this semester.
They wrote the Written Exams today and I’m halfway through the marking. They should all be getting their results tomorrow morning.

Grade 3 Parents
I would like to clarify something that has recently come to my attention. When I started substituting, teacher Andrew’s Grade 3 class in Week 3, I started with ‘Exploring Space with an Astronaut’ and was unaware that he did not complete the worksheets from the previous story, ‘The Twin Club’.  When I became aware of the problem, we were reviewing for the exams. I believe that despite the fact that some of the exercises in the worksheet are not checked, we’ve managed to do a good job in reviewing the story.
Please stop panicking about the worksheets as I will get to them in due time.
Grade 5 parents
Our grade 5 students have done extremely well and I am really proud of them. There are however a few boys who need extra help. They have not made an effort at all and are trying to disrupt the progress we have made in the class thus far. Should the problem persist, I will be asking the parents of those students to come to school, individually, to discuss the way forward. We cannot afford to waste any more time with students who will not help themselves. When we all work together and support each other, the load gets lighter.

On a lighter note, the students all have an evening off studying English today. JJJ
This week is a review week, as well as a chance to catch up and complete, incomplete assignments. The students know that I will be grading them on their homework as well as their assignments, amongst other things, such as classroom participation and behaviour.
With the exams nearly over, we are looking forward to having a well-deserved rest over the long weekend.
I will give the students some light reading over the weekend, nothing that they can’t handle.
Have a great week and weekend,

Carmen 

No comments:

Post a Comment